Monday 5 September 2016

BBFC Regulation Research

Who Are The BBFC?
BBFC stands for British Board Of Film. In 1912 the British Board Of Film Censors was created by a rapidly growing film industry to insure that a unified group of individuals can decide on the classification of a movie. It's an organisation that, usually make a pair of examiners, watch all videos/movies produced for public distribution fully and deems them a classification of either: U, PG, 12/12A, 15, 18 or R18. They decide what the video should be rated by looking at the criteria the BBFC has set for every video to be compared to. The criteria consists of how much nudity, sex, violence, bad language, horror, drugs, discrimination and dangerous/easily imitable behaviour can be seen but, it also depends on the context and impact these aspects have in the movie and to the potential audience that wold view it.

Their Guidelines:
The BBFC operates under standards that are in line with public expectations so they can make decisions that take into account what the public finds acceptable for each age category. To keep updated with public opinion they carry out a large scale consultation every 4/5 years to see what they think of their classifications rules and adjust them to responses, if needed. The two key principles the BBFC follow are:

  • "To protect children and vulnerable adults from potentially harmful or otherwise unsuitable content"
  • "To empower consumers, particularly parents and those with respobsibility for children, to make informed viewing decisions"
Source: http://www.bbfc.co.uk/what-classification/guidelines
Rating U:

Rating PG:

Rating 12/12A:

Rating 15:

Rating 18:

This is the second year of my media course and is fairly similar to the project I chose to undergo last year so I've researched all this information before, because of this I've decided to use a mix of my information for the last post, updated of course and a lot of direct/quoted information from the official BBFC website. I chose to represent each rating with their rules in it's own mind map/diagram as it allows me to have a visual aid when writing the plot of my short film later on in my project with Josh. I knew everything when it comes to the BBFC regulations because of my previous research last year so as short films have transcended cinema and have started to be taken seriously on YouTube and other video viewing sites such as Vimeo I'm going to be going a post on YouTube's & Vimeo's regulations as well as this one. However, this post did remind me of the rating systems rules for each which was very beneficial to me as now I can focus on other aspects of my coursework since this post didn't take as long as some of the others such as The History & Development Of Short Film.

No comments:

Post a Comment